Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Bringing the Outside In – Window Coverings




As someone who has lived in several different cities in different regions, I have had the chance to decorate many different spaces. Now, as a first time home owner in the Pacific Northwest, I have been enjoying this new chance. One of the things I am realizing is that rather than try to change this space, I want to work with what is already there. A second realization is that I love it when a house “brings the outside in.” The PNW is such a utopia of natural beauty. My house in particular is surrounded by large cedar and fir trees. When my husband gently reminded me that it was time to get window coverings for all the large windows in the living room, I hesitated. Why would I want to cover up the lovely trees surrounding the room? Although I still leave the curtains open most of the time, I was able to find a tree-like print on Overstock.com (in green) that still matched the room. The slight shimmer in the fabric makes sure they don't look like camouflage, and the white background gives them a lightness. I love what the curtains have done for the room.




I did the same thing for covering the French doors leading to the bedroom balcony. I wanted something even lighter here, as the trees give us a ton of privacy. I like waking up to natural light in the room. These sheer curtains from Bed, Bath, and Beyond have been perfect!



xoxo,

Megan Hayne

No comments:

Post a Comment